Cloth Modifier in Blender

In a few tutorials and Unreal Engine builds, I had watched online I noticed that lots of people used the cloth modifiers to create fabric looking materials such as towels or curtains. I wanted to try this out for the bathroom as I thought it would look good if I had some fabric based models in. In addition to that once textured the matte like substance will break a scene up well by giving the viewer something interesting to look at.

cloth1

The first stage was to create a 2d plane over an object I had made earlier. This is so that the cloth model has something to collide with and follow real world physics.

cloth2

I had to mark out where I needed the material to stay rigid whilst the rest simulates fabric following gravity.  I did this by going into the weight painting menu and painting along the spine red to signify it stay rigid.

cloth4 cloth5

cloth6

I then baked out the 10 seconds after it has fallen so that I can go through frame by frame and pick which would suit a static model best.  By learning how to create fabric materials will allow me to create other objects such as curtains or duvets for beds. Bringing items that have curves is good to make a sense look more interesting to look at. In addition to this, it also gives greater angles for lost to reflect off.