Creating Glass

For various parts of the apartment would need glass. I attempted with glass materials in substance painter and how I could apply this to my model. However when imported the glass in it turned out that the material waste translucent. This was a step back as ideally I wanted to be able to see through the glass.

I followed a tutorial I found online which went through the steps of making clear glass. The images below are the workflow I took to achieve this. However, even though the glass was translucent it was nearly impossible to see as it had no roughness or colour applied to it.

I decided to research further into other tutorials to achieve this.

glass2

I used a node based system by adding various maps with different values. The material slowly built on top of it’s self until it was ready to put into my demo project. Each map is affecting part of the overall material. The translucency is controlled by a another map with a sepecular  value inputted in to it.

coll3

glass4

The Image’s below are when I applied a roughness map to the glass materials I also added In a navy base colour map so that when looking through the glass there would be a noticeable difference. Another aspect I noticed that depending on the lighting and environment around it the glass would reflect light differently giving it another visual appearance. This added to the apartment by making more immersive and aesthetically pleasing to the player.

glass6glass5